It was only a matter of time before I got around to this, I love me some Panda Express. There used to be times when I would have it at least once a week. I try to spread it out a bit more though so I don’t get tired of it. This summer, when I discovered the Sunrise Marketplace was within driving distance for lunch from work, I found myself there 3 days in one week. It was bad, but in a good way😉
I went to the one by Walmart, over by the Auto Mall, which is usually the one I end up going to when I’m coming from or going home. I don’t often do dine-in but I decided to sit outside to enjoy the glorious mid-60s weather. They have a decent sized dining room which I’ve never seen full. I think most people do take out as well. They have a mix of normal high tables and bar high tables as well as a counter along the window.
Just a short wait and I was up the counter being greeted and going through the Panda Express motions I’ve become accustomed to. I was actually thrown off a bit when they forgot to ask me if I wanted a sample (pretty sure it’s policy, they ask about it in their survey).
I tend to order the same thing, with slight variations based on what looks fresh and what is running low. The Chow Mien vs Fried Rice decision is always based on which one is the most full. The thing about these two is that if they’ve been sitting for more than 10 minutes they just really lose their appeal. They aren’t piping hot anymore and are just okay. If they look about the same and not fresh I go with the chow mien because I feel if holds up a bit better. Today I couldn’t tell so I went half and half.
My entree choices are usually made with this priority in mind:
- Orange Chicken – Always ordered, even if it’s been sitting out for a while or I have to wait for more to be made.
- Honey Walnut Shrimp – These are incredible, I’ve never had a bad order of them.
- Kung Pao Chicken – This tends to be my third choice, but if I have to wait and I’m in a hurry I’ll go further down the list.
- Sweet & Sour Pork – Always a good choice.
- Mushroom Chicken – This used to be a staple for me but Honey Walnut Shrimp took that spot immediately when it was introduced.
- Beijing Beef – I like this a lot at first, it starts out strong. Unfortunately I’m usually over it by the time I finish.
- Broccoli Beef – Haven’t actually ordered this in a very long time, but it was one of the things I ordered a lot back in the day.